Planning permission applications

Planning & Design

Planning permission is a pre-requisite for most domestic and commercial developments. Where possible,  site orientation must be utilised in order to maximise solar gain and vista.  The design process must be carried out in close consultation with the client to ensure a proper interpretation of the  design brief and a design which is within budget.

Coupled with this process is the application of the current building regulations in relation to insulation, heating, fire escape, stairs etc.

For example, the revised building regulations in relation to insulation and energy performance are controlled by Technical Guidance Document (TGD) Part L 2011. Along with increased insulation levels, there is a requirement to provide some dwelling energy via renewable sources. A summary of these requirements is outlined below.

TGD Part ‘L’ – Conservation Of Fuel & Energy 2011 – L1

For New Dwellings – The Requirements Of L1 Shall Be Met By……………………..

(a) – Providing that the energy performance of the dwelling is such as to limit the calculated primary energy consumption and related carbon dioxide(CO2) emissions insofar as is reasonably practicable, when both energy consumption and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions are calculated using the Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) published by SEAI

(b) Providing that, for new dwellings, a reasonable proportion of the energy consumption is provided by renewable energy sources.

(c) Limiting heat loss, and where appropriate, availing of heat gain through the fabric of the building

(d) Providing and commissioning energy efficient space and water heating systems with efficient heat sources and effective controls

(e) Providing that all oil and gas boilers shall meet a minimum seasonal efficiency of 90%

(f) Providing to the dwelling owner – Sufficient information about the dwelling, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and energy than is reasonable.

For renewable energy technologies………………….

  • 10 kWh/m2/annum contributing to energy used for domestic hot water heating, space heating or cooking or…..
  • 4 kWh/m2/annum of electrical energy or…
  • A combination of these which would have an equivalent effect

Entrance Onto A Public Road

All developments requiring a new access or a modified access onto a public road will require the consent of the road section in the local authority. The road classification will determine the required site distance and any obstructions in the line of site will be required to be removed. In certain cases, the consent of adjoining landowners will be required in order to maintain or remove hedgerows or trees.

Soil / Percolation Testing

Prior to the submission of any application for planning, a soil test must be carried out to determine the subsoil suitability for treating domestic effluent. A successful result must be obtained prior to submitting  the application. Conditions such as a high seasonal water table, high bedrock level or an impermeable sub soil can result in a site not suitable for development.

Please contact Encore Consulting for more specific advice on any of the above items.